Wild Routes

The Flooders Trail


The Flooders Trail


"Aince a moss and then a sea.......noo a moss and aye will be."

Introduction

Eight miles south of Dumfries and three miles south of Glencaple on the B725 coast road, 'Castle Corner', on the Caerlaverock Estate, is the starting point for a walk through the Caerlaverock National Nature Reserve (NNR) which forms the core of the Flooders Trail.  The history, wildlife and management of the area is described in this website.

The Itinerary

It’s a roughly three-mile ramble from here, along the edge of the Merse or saltmarsh, past the Historic Scotland site of Caerlaverock Castle – including the site of the early medieval castle – and through extensive reedbeds on an array of boardwalks to the Wildfowl and Wetland Trust Reserve of Caerlaverock.   The latter is a destination for a good half–day out at any time of year but comes into its own in winter when the area attracts thousands of migrant geese and swans from the Arctic Circle. 

The activities above would easily exhaust a full day but, if you’re staying in the area and want to explore it at greater leisure, there are other local attractions – see map.   

The former fishing and cargo port of Glencaple served Dumfries and surrounding region and was in use until the early 20th century.   The recently built Glencaple Café offers unparalled views over the Nith Estuary, including the RSPB’s Kirkconnel Merse Reserve (an intertidal site with no public access), and the rounded bulk of Criffel beyond.  

Nearby Bankend is a small village dating mainly from the 19th century with a pretty parish church and historic graveyard.  The latter includes two notable graves:

  • Dr John Hutton, physician to Queen Anne, who lived to 100; and
  • Robert Paterson (1716-1801), the stonecutter who wandered about Scotland for over 50 years repairing the gravestones of the Covenanters and made famous as ‘Old    Mortality’ in Sir Walter Scott’s novel.

Isle Tower, 400 metres to the north of the village, is a ruined former tower house of the Maxwell family.

Ward Law, with the distinctive outcrop of trees on the hill a mile south of Bankend, is the site of an Iron Age fort.  Beside it is the site of a Roman fort probably used for training manoeuvres.  The fort was supplied by a Roman port at Caerlaverock.

 

 


Bankend

Hutton Lodge

Situated on Cycle Route 7 and the Solway Heritage Trail just 1½ miles from the WWT Caerlaverock nature reserve, Hutton Lodge is a traditional red sandstone, detached residence offering 2 comfortable en-suite bedrooms. Our spacious garden is a wildlife sanctuary for many bird species. Garden plants have been specially chosen to attract birds, butterflies and insects throughout the year.

Tel: 01387 770216 / 07925 191 450
huttonlodge@hotmail.com
www.huttonlodge.co.uk

Look for local nature-based events and walks to enhance the enjoyment of your stay by clicking here.

Other Information